Thursday, April 3, 2014

Up the down staircase, among other mediums... of getting up and down.

 And here, we have some of the staircases in the house.  I didn't get all of them, because there are some that you need permits to see.  I may try to figure out how to do that, because I would love to see the rest of the house, and the servants' quarters.  But here, we have a back staircase. 

In my house, we have a similar one that we use as a main staircase.  There used to be a large staircase in the front of my house, but it was torn out when they turned this one into student housing for Reed College.  Digressing here, because this is about Pittock, not my place.  But, it is why I am interested in all of the other staircases, as well.




This is the door to the first residential elevator built, on the West Coast.  This was built with Georgiana in mind, because she had a stroke during the time the house was being built.


And now, for the main attraction!  This house is 16,000 Square Feet, and the staircase is a very prominent feature, making up the central portion of the house.







This railing detail was carved from Eucalyptus.







No comments:

Post a Comment