Tuesday, March 24, 2015

The farm...

This is the farm where my husband grew up.  The outbuildings haven't been used in many years, but they sure make for interesting photographic opportunities.  I'm amazed at the size of the chicken coop.  That was really something. 

I am also amazed at how much the water table has changed in the last 17 years.  I remember going out there with him the first few years, and you'd dig less than half a foot, and see water. 

Now?  There isn't much. 

In fact, there used to be a stream and a swamp on the property, with wapato, and a bridge that actually made sense. 

Now?  Nada.

Lots of trees have fallen down on the property, as well, in the more recent storms.  These are mostly locust trees, nearing the end of their life cycles, so it's timely, and I guess probably time to start planting new ones, out there.

You'll see what I'm talking about, as we go through all of these photos I took the other day.





Stairs to the root cellar.  I would love to see what it looks like inside, now.  It's been closed off for a long time, though.

This is the back of the root cellar.




An imperial lily I found on the property.  I hadn't realized there were some in the back, too. 








I was... trying something here.

Bark coming away from this tree.

I had to ask why there was a spigot on just the inside of this door, and apparently... it was just there to prop the door open.  LOL







This is the big barn.  It was still being used up to last summer, for horses.


I just really liked the look of this weathered wall.






These next few are of the pig shed, from various angles.



These next few, are of the chicken coop, from various angles.






Storms have blown out these windows, over time.




Yes, this would be an outhouse.

I'll refer to it as a long-term relationship outhouse. 






Todd isn't here to ask about this right now, so I'll edit later, but I think this was a plow shed.





Which brings me to several old plows!










And a few of some fallen trees.  No big deal, right? 









And lastly, this used to be a stream, hence the bridge.





-H




No comments:

Post a Comment